|Main page||Accommodation||Rural tourism||Notice board||Contact|
Noul Neamt monastery
In the XVth century the system of fortifications situated along the Dnister banks played an important role in medieval Moldavia, because they served as defence line against the invasion on the eastern frontiers (Hotin, Soroca, Tighina, Cetatea Alba).
The fortress of Tighina is one of the oldest fortifications included in this system. Built on remains of an ancient settlement, Tighina Fortress is mentioned in the documents dating back to the times of Alexandru cel Bun (1408) as an important customs post. The frontier fortress was fenced with stone walls during the rule of Petru Rares in conformity with a special design which envisaged round and rectangular walls.
In 1538 the fortress was conquered by Suleiman the Magnificent, and was reconstructed to the design of architect Sinan, being turned into an Ottoman residence named Bender (turk. "port").
In 1705 - 1707 the fort's area was expanded and modernized by the prince of Moldavia Antioh Cantemir who carried out these works under the Ottoman supervision.
Consequently, the fortress of Tighina makes an architectural ensemble with a lay-out in the shape of an irregular rectangle fenced by wide (2,5-3 m) and high walls made of limestone and brick, with ten artillery bastions at the corners and eleven towers. The lower part of the citadel is reinforced by three walls and two towers of middle size. Inside the fort there are: a palace, dwelling house, shops, three mosques, artillery barracks and other structures and annexes.
During the Russian - Turkish wars the Tighina Fortress was three times conquered by the Russian armies (in 1770, 1789 and 1806). After the Bucharest Treaty was signed in 1812 Bessarabia was annexed to the Russian Empire and the fortress came in the possession of the Russian military authorities. Not far from the fortress there remained up till now the remnants of the war camp of Swedish King Charles XII who took his refuge here after the Poltava battle.
Nowadays Tighina fortress shelters Russian 14th army troops remained here with the rest of ammunition since last war between Moldova and Transdnistria in early 1990th.
inbox [at] marisha [dot] net